Helping Reduce Family Holiday Stress
School holidays are a time when families seek out new adventures and an escape from the daily routine. 2020 has provided plenty of challenges for how to spend the ‘holidays’ – and depending on where you live in Australia right now – these September school holidays are bound to be very different to previous years.
Whether you’re lucky enough to be taking a roadtrip (let’s face it no-one is flying at the moment), or enjoying more meals at cafes - as parents we are always looking for ways to keep kids occupied, ideally with something that involves genuine engagement and an unplugged screen alternative. Anyone else found homeschool = screentime nightmare?
With that in mind and school holidays once more upon us (or nearly) our range of compact portable play activity sets are here to help reduce the stress. And for Melbournian’s, our portable play range still helps with easy quick clean up for at-home activities.
To qualify for a Tiger Tribe “Portable Play” badge, our products must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Compact enough to easily throw into mum’s handbag, the family daypack, stash in the car seat-back pocket, carry-on luggage (remember that?) or a kid’s backpack
- Small enough to easily use on an aeroplane food tray, in the back seat of the car or at a cafe table
- Containable — everything you need to complete the activity must come in a self-contained box (so nothing gets lost). Making it super easy to pack up too!
- Offer a non-digital alternative to help ‘un-plug’ kids
- Provide high value content, so kids remain engaged for extended periods of time.
Here's our top picks for Portable Play activities this school holidays:
For older kids (we suggest 7-10 years):
For early primary kids:
- Glitter Colouring Set - Night Garden
- How to Draw - Animals
- 3D Colouring Fierce Creatures
- Crazy Eyes - Creatures
- Foil Art - Rainforest
And for the younger siblings: